Each spring, a nation-wide high school arts competition is sponsored by the Members of the U.S. House of Representatives. The Congressional Art Competition is an opportunity to recognize and encourage the artistic talent in the nation, as well as in our congressional district.
The Congressional Art Competition is open to all high school students in the 6th District. The over-all winner of our district's competition will be displayed for one year in the U.S. Capitol. The exhibit in Washington will also include artwork from other contest winners nation-wide.The student whose artwork is selected will be invited to travel to Washington, D.C. in June to attend a ceremony unveiling their artwork and will be given two complimentary round-trip flights for the event.
Each framed artwork can be no larger than 28 inches high, 28 inches wide, and 4 inches deep. Accepted mediums include:
- Paintings: oil, acrylics, watercolor, etc.
- Drawings: colored pencil, pencil, ink, marker, pastels, charcoal
- Collages: must be two dimensional
- Prints: lithographs, silkscreen, block prints
- Mixed Media: use of more than two mediums such as pencil, ink, watercolor, etc.
- Computer-generated art
All entries must be original in concept, design, and execution and may not violate any U.S. copyright laws. Please refer to the Rules and Regulations - found here: 2016 Rules for Students and Teachers
Students must also fill out the Student Information & Release Form - found here: 2016 Student Release Form
The Congressional Art Competition began in 1982 to provide an opportunity for members of Congress to encourage and recognize the artistic talents of their young constituents. Since then, over 650,000 high school students have been involved with the nationwide competition.
For consideration, entries must be received by April 18, 2016 at 5 p.m. to either of our District Offices below:
- Tacoma Office: 950 Pacific Ave, Suite 1230, Tacoma, WA 98402 (Monday – Friday 9 a.m. – 5 p.m.)
- Bremerton Office: 345 6th St., Suite 500, Bremerton, WA 98337 (Monday – Friday 9 a.m. – 5 p.m.)
If you have any questions please contact Chantell Muñoz in our Tacoma District Office at 253-272-3515.